Click here to show form Reflections by Thea: Lockers and Notebooks...

Total Pageviews

Thursday, September 15, 2011

Lockers and Notebooks...

Just a quick update (since I know all my "fans" ... or should I say "fan") are/is waiting with baited breath to see how the school year is going):

I'm really glad to be back at the middle school. Starting to feel at home again after a seven-year hiatus, and getting that "awwww" feeling from seeing the looks of accomplishment on sixth grade faces when I help them open their locker or organize their notebooks. A small thing like getting the hang of turning a combination lock can boost or deflate self-esteem big time (and our locks are pretty tricky, so that's no joke). It's really the underpinning of so much of the middle school experience, since they only have a few minutes between classes and can't carry everything with them. Little things can become huge roadblocks when they don't work right (just think of a dripping faucet or a "minor" car noise); at the same time, they facilitate the whole process when all is well. It's been fun to see the progression from day one, when all the kids were struggling, to the present, when the ones who have it down love to help out those who are still fighting with the metal monsters. 


I really like "mothering" all the kids, and feel good when I can do my part to alleviate the stress that I endured in school. Always felt behind the eight ball, and no one was more surprised than I when I succeeded. Always thought I had everyone fooled, that I really just knew how to "play the game" but deep down, had nothing to offer. If I can head that off in some of these little 11-year-olds and help them see they have what it takes, what a joy!

Excerpts from Matthew 18 on the subject:

1 At that time the disciples came to Jesus and asked, “Who, then, is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven?”
2 He called a little child to him, and placed the child among them. 3 And he said: “Truly I tell you, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. 4 Therefore, whoever takes the lowly position of this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven. 5 And whoever welcomes one such child in my name welcomes me. 6 “If anyone causes one of these little ones—those who believe in me—to stumble, it would be better for them to have a large millstone hung around their neck and to be drowned in the depths of the sea. 10 “See that you do not despise one of these little ones. For I tell you that their angels in heaven always see the face of my Father in heaven."

For more like this, check out: Morsels for Meditation...: School Bells and Ink Quills

Morsels for Meditation...: Grade School Heroes

Morsels for Meditation...: Grade School Heroes Part 2

1 comment:

Michelle said...

My older sister feels the same - she works "hall and cafeteria duty" at her school - and it really is a ministry to her.

I still have dreams that I can't open my locker - no joke!