Click here to show form Reflections by Thea: School Bells and Ink Quills

Total Pageviews

Sunday, September 4, 2011

School Bells and Ink Quills


I haven't blogged in awhile, but it's been for a good reason. Actually, a couple of good reasons. For one thing, I've started back to work (in a different venue - I've been reassigned to the middle school after working at our local high school for seven years). So I had meetings this week, which I'm proud to say I walked to (two miles round trip!), and learned some valuable stuff about the student(s) I will be assisting this year. It feels strange, even though I worked at the middle school for the better part of three years before moving to the high school, because there are so many new people and the building, for all intents and purposes, is new (having been under construction for three years now). Feels a bit like jumping off a cliff, if you want to know the truth. I have to keep reminding myself that the new school year always feels that way, it goes with the territory, and there are 30 million other people in the country feeling exactly the same way. Not all are as lucky as I am, having numerous relationships already at my worksite. And I only have to find my way around one building, as opposed to people who travel to different buildings routinely as part of their employment. Still, there's this part of me that's feeling anxious (not that you could tell). I just have to let myself feel and walk through and allow it. By this time next week, I'll be in a different spot. I know this from experience.
The other reason for my absence is that I've been putting the finishing touches on my manuscript. Yup! After several years of plugging away, I'm finally ready to submit my work to a publisher. It's exciting and daring for me to do something like this. I have to give credit to my former husband. He always encouraged me to write, even when I was doing much more important things like watching reruns of The Mary Tyler Moore Show for the seventy-fifth time (I tried to find a twelve-step program for my addiction, but they wanted me to promise abstinence, so I had to draw the line). Further back, my parents always supported my writing, even when I was a little girl. I remember plunking myself down in front of my dad's "state of the art" electric typewriter (OK, I'm old), and picking out the letters for a short story. I hunted and pecked my way through a number of pieces, and my folks went the extra mile of submitting one to a children's magazine. I got a lovely rejection notice to counter-balance my chest full of pride that Mom and Dad had faith in their aspiring author. They even took me to see the girlhood home of my writing idol, Louisa May Alcott. Mom and Dad, no matter what the outcome of my scribblings, thank you both for believing in me!

I'll keep you posted if there's any exciting news to report. I just feel really great about getting to this point. There were many times I wondered if I'd ever get it in shape to show a publisher, but it just goes to show, with God all things are possible.

For more like this, check out: Morsels for Meditation...: Grade School Heroes

Morsels for Meditation...: Grade School Heroes Part 2

Morsels for Meditation...: Lockers and Notebooks...

1 comment:

Maureen said...

Congrats to you !!!