Click here to show form Reflections by Thea: God, Grief and Grandbabies

Total Pageviews

Monday, July 20, 2020

God, Grief and Grandbabies


To my beloved grandchildren –

Luca, you have set a fine example for your younger sisters. They have a tough act to follow! Before you were born, I couldn’t imagine loving any grandchild as much as I do you, but, lo and behold, I found out that what I’ve always been told is true: we don’t have to divide our love when new babies come along – somehow, it miraculously multiplies!

Luca, you have a very special middle name. David was your great grandfather Parrish’s name. He would have eaten you up (if his wife, Grandma Barbara, didn’t get to you first, that is)!

Kira and Greer, you came at such a perfect time! Your beautiful mommy has been a real trooper, waiting for you to arrive in this hot, sticky summer. I think she was really ready for you to make your entrance! We were all eager to meet you, and our great God knew He would be taking Grandpa Mike (AKA, “Grandma Mike,” according to your big brother) home to live with Him in heaven. The Lord knew we would need tiny smiles and gentle coos to comfort us. He also knew Luca needed some built in friends to come live with him, so He sent you girls to do the job! I pray the three of you will be good friends, and not let quarrels and disagreements go on too long. Try to remember what your Grandma Parrish told my sisters and me when we were growing up. Whenever we would argue, she always said, “Oh, girls, I want you to love each other!”

All three of you have such wonderful names. Kira, one of your middle names is Michaela, which your mommy and daddy added to honor Grandpa Mike. Greer, your name starts with “G” just like Grandpa Fred’s middle name, George, and the Cameron part of your name was your great grandma Winnie’s maiden name.

By the way, Granddad Parrish was Jewish, and in Jewish tradition, loved ones who pass away are honored by naming new babies after them. So, you see, as part of your Jewish heritage, you all have extra special names which will help us remember family members we miss. They were much loved people, and would be thrilled to share their names with you. Thank you, dear hearts, for bearing those names so beautifully. Your grandparents would be proud.

Speaking of family, all three of you were born into a good one. Oh, don’t get me wrong – there will be lots of hovering and advice giving, but there will also be heaps of praise and encouragement. We take care of our own in the Williams and Hoell families!

Well, you’re all still pretty young, so I should let you get to bed. I think I’ll “tuck you in” with the song your daddy, who is also an amazing man, wrote when we brought Uncle Ethan (AKA, Uncle EZ) home from the hospital. I’m not kidding, your daddy at age five composed these loving lines:

Go to sleep, little Ethan, and you will be alright
Close your eyes, little Ethan, and you will be OK
If the sun doesn’t dawn in your dreams tonight
Be sure to wake me with the sound of your fright
Go to sleep, little Ethan, and you will be alright,
Close your eyes, little Ethan, and you will be OK!

When I sing this to you, I will, of course, substitute your names for Uncle EZ’s, but you get the idea.

Thank you all for the incredible happiness you have given me, even before I met you. I love you all dearly, and eagerly await the moment when I can hold my new little grand girls (and I do mean grand)! In the meantime, I’ll keep snuggling my Luca and give him some extra squeezes for his sisters😊

Oh, one more thing.  These Bible verses from the Old Testament speak of God replacing sorrow with something beautiful and good. Your mommy experienced the pain of giving birth, and we all feel sadness over having lost your grandfathers so young. Having you three to hug and hold helps to transform those sorrows into joy!

“The Spirit of the Lord God is upon Me,

Because the Lord has anointed Me

To preach good tidings to the poor;

He has sent Me to heal the brokenhearted,

To proclaim liberty to the captives,

And the opening of the prison to those who are bound...

To comfort all who mourn,

To console those who mourn in Zion,

To give them beauty for ashes,
The oil of joy for mourning,
The garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness;
That they may be called trees of righteousness,
The planting of the Lord, that He may be glorified.”
~ Isaiah 61:1-3 ~


God bless you all, my sweethearts, and nitey nite!

Love always,
Mom Mom

3 comments:

Ethan Williams said...

This is so sweet! Thank you for writing this mom. I feel like it’s something I really needed to read :)

thea williams said...

And I needed to write it, Uncle EZ. We will get through this together!

thea williams said...

And I needed to write it, Uncle EZ. We will get through this together!