Click here to show form Reflections by Thea: Jealousy

Total Pageviews

Sunday, August 7, 2016

Jealousy

If it's not a dirty word, it ought to be. When I was a young girl, I vividly remember the emerald-eyed monster invading my psyche. When Scott dated Denise instead of Thea, that was a national disaster. When Bob glued himself to Debby's hip, there was another tragedy. And when Marc invited everyone (so it seemed) to his party except Thea, well, that was just devastating.

I did, however, survive. In fact, I thrived. I graduated high school and college with honors. I raised two amazing children who make me proud every day. I have a career that gives me great satisfaction because I'm contributing something important to society.

So why do I feel green, scaly claws gripping me around the throat after all these successes?

John D. Rockefeller was once asked how much money would be enough. His answer: "Just a little bit more."

I'm interpreting his comment to address more than the accumulation of wealth. I take it to mean, despite all his material blessings, there was still some sort of emptiness that he mistakenly believed more money could fill. Despite the fact that the oil tycoon held a strong faith in Christ, apparently he was only human. So I guess that puts me in excellent (or at least expensive) company.

The thing that's eating me is my lack of progress in being published. I hear of others getting book contracts and winning awards, and it pretty much galls me. Seriously. I knew it wouldn't be easy, but I'm feeling somewhat like it's a lost cause. Like I'll never master the social media game that seems to be a must in this business. That I can't "do" marketing, which is another prerequisite for publication. And let's not even talk about building a website or affording someone who does.

Like Moses, I'm caught up in the reasons why I can't do something that God has called me to do. I seem to be forgetting that He's already lined up the Aaron's to assist with the goals He's mapped out for me. He's not expecting me to be a one-woman show. He's got the staff, timetable and, oh, yes, budget all nailed down.

So why do I doubt? And why do I feel angst when others succeed before I do? Isn't that the natural order of things? Somebody has to be first, but that doesn't mean there isn't room at the end of the line for a late up-and-comer.

I'm actually helping myself fail by procrastinating. I have a book proposal to write, and I need to get busy and write it. As the saying goes, it isn't going to write itself. I need to spruce up my novel with a few ideas that have been nagging at me. I need to take responsibility for that which I can do, instead of negatively comparing my place on the authorship continuum with someone else's.

And I need to TRUST that the One who commissioned me is still in the business of making miracles happen. Even for girls who don't "do" marketing and Instagram.

4 comments:

Lisa said...

Well, apparently you have a YouTube channel, which I think is pretty darn cool, but I hear what you're saying. So, get up off your heiny and start asking those people how they got that contract or how they got that award. I still feel strongly that information-interviewing people would net you a whole lot of learning. Mine your fellow authors from the book you were published in from Rosemont College. And, yeah, procrastination can be a set up for feeling powerless, but I've also heard it said that it can be a time of incubation. So I guess you get to call which period in your life is which. Like Reenee used to tell me, "If you don't take that step, God has nothing to work with. Decision-making is a self-correcting process. So step out in faith and keep you ear to the ground when God says, "Not that way, idiot; THIS way .. . and off you go to find whatever little treasure or nugget he has for you! Just keep repeating that every day, listening for God's cousel, and you be just fine :-) (((hugs))) Lisa

Mary Dolan Flaherty said...

Thea, this was one of the fist things I read this morning, but I didn't have time to comment on it. I still don't, really---I need to be working. But I wanted to make sure I said something. I really get this. I lived it. I know exactly what you're feeling. I got to the point where I started getting angry at someone I didn't even know when I read that a major publisher was publishing their book. For some reason, it made me feel better if they were self-publishing, maybe because in my mind, that meant that it wasn't good enough to be picked up by a "real" publisher. And then I would refuse to even consider reading it. I confess, I still read a good deal of books through the eyes of a not-yet published author and pick out flaws and think, "I could have written this, and I could have done a better job.But I also know that it's easier to say that having read the already written book. It's not that easy to write on white space.

One of the things that helped me get past this was to promote the other person, whether it was someone I knew or not. It doesn't seem to make sense, but in order to promote and encourage the other person, I had to look beyond myself and find something positive to say. It really helped me get out of my navel.

My struggle lately is more within. I get angry at myself for choosing to garden or visit with a lonely and elderly friend or just read a book instead of writing. I get down on myself and I hear the lie that I'm not a "real" writer and that I'll "never get that novel finished if I keep going like this." But my good friend tells me that I'm following the Holy Spirit's lead. Yes, I believe that I need to write every day, but I don't take into account "other" writing--like my blog or editing my "Ralph" story that I'm preparing to self-publish.

Then, just this weekend, it occurred to me that because I have no agent, no publisher, no book deal, no deadline...I can enjoy the writing process, the process of writing my first book. We are told not to despise small beginnings and I recall how much I LOVED blogging when I first started, because all I wanted to do was find the lesson in my everyday circumstances, write about it, and share it with others. And I was amazed that people actually looked forward to hearing my stories! I didn't know about blog link-ups and memes and all that. It was simple and innocent and naive. I look at my writing--the novel--in the same way right now. If I had a book deal, I'd most likely have to completely re-write the novel and I'd have a deadline, and maybe the fun would be taken out of it. Maybe not. Maybe it would all flow very nicely. My point is, I am choosing to enjoy the journey--the small beginning. I'd challenge you to do the same.

So, I agree with Lisa---get off your heiny and do what you need to do, but enjoy the journey.God will make room on the bookshelf for your book when the time is right.

I know where you are, girlfriend. I really do!

thea williams said...

Hey Ladies, thanks for the great feedback and gold nuggets. I am purposing to work well today, with God's help, trusting He'll tell me each next right step. Thanks so much, Mary, for sharing your own struggles, and Lisa, for the excellent suggestion. You are both treasures in my life, and I thank you for taking the time to encourage and spur me on!

thea williams said...

As Lisa rightly pointed out, I do now have a YouTube channel at https://www.youtube.com/user/theabwilliams, thanks to the TIRELESS efforts of Angela Schans (angelaschans.com). I need to be thankful for the progress that's being made and, as Mary said, enjoy the journey while continuously forging ahead!A million thanks to people like Angela and my good friend, Anna Bannana, and my dear sister, Rosalind Quirk, who recorded my reading so we'd have something to put up on YouTube in the first place. Also, to the many supporters who read my blog and have given me feedback on the novel. I am so grateful for all of you!