Click here to show form Reflections by Thea: Senseless

Total Pageviews

Friday, July 10, 2015

Senseless

My neighbor's dog is deaf and blind. She used to have hearing and vision, but age has taken its toll on this "short person in a fur coat."

We've known this beige, wide-eyed shih tzu for 12 years. Her name is Dusty Miller, and she's comforted everyone in our family at one time or another. When my father lay weak and helpless on what would become his death bed, Dusty curled up at his feet. When my sons had a bad day at school, they went down the street and scooped up Dusty. 

Now Dusty finds the most enjoyment being in familiar surroundings because she's minus two of her senses. We carry her up and down stairs and guide her in safe directions when walking. 

Tonight I took Dusty out to "do her business" so her "mommy," Anita, could do some business of her own. As usual, I steered her around obstacles and out of harm's way, nudging her onto grassy surfaces so she could do her thing. I watched with great interest as Dusty circled and sniffed and even poked her whole face into the earth beneath her. 

She was compensating for what she didn't have, calling on her senses of touch and smell to make up for those she lacked. 

As I've mentioned before, I'll be attending the Greater Philly Christian Writers Conference at the end of this month. I'm working hard on the second draft of my novel, Belabored, but to be honest, it's not coming together as I would like. I've requested information from expert sources to make the book ring true, but it's a waiting game. Other people have lives and to do lists also, and my priorities aren't necessarily at the top of those lists. Oddly enough, the world doesn't owe me anything, and it certainly doesn't have to spin on my timetable. 

So what's a girl to do? Here I am, trying to serve the Lord, using my talents to shed light on a very important subject (abortion), and I'm running into stop signs. But we don't sit at stop signs endlessly, do we? We pause, evaluate our surroundings, and use our best judgment to move ahead when an appropriate amount of time has passed. 

That's just what God's been guiding me to do. Instead of waiting for material I don't yet and may never have, I sense He's instructing me to move forward with what I do have. I have a manuscript which needs revision. So I'm revising. I have a conference for which I can prepare. So I'm preparing.

Like Dusty, I'm figuring out how to work around my deficiencies, and not let them render me senseless.


"If there is first a willing mind, it is accepted according to what one has, and not according to what he does not have." 
2 Corinthians 8:12


For more like this, check out: Morsels for Meditation...: Weeds 2

4 comments:

Miss Kathy said...

Blessings, Thea! I will be at conference, too. I'm teaching the Indie Workshop on Friday afternoon. I hope we can connect and share a meal. Would love to cheer you on in your endeavor. I'm all about prepping my own work these next two weeks. Hold fast, God makes the way and you'll break out of your egg to publish in due season when your work is ready. We about real always growing into greate things in Christ!
See you soon!
Joy!
Kathy

thea williams said...

Thanks for the pep talk, Kathy! I look forward to seeing you there:)

Mary Dolan Flaherty said...

Thea, this is wonderful! I never thought of a STOP sign that way before. Of course we don't stay there forever! I love that concept, and I'm going to use it in my own life (Since I feel like I'm at that STOP sign right now).

thea williams said...

so glad it spoke to you, Mary. and glad we're staying in touch!