Click here to show form Reflections by Thea: Cheap Date

Total Pageviews

Friday, March 29, 2013

Cheap Date

I sold myself cheap the other night. No, it's not what you're thinking. I am not and never have been promiscuous, with my body at least. My mind, though, is quite another story.

As long as I can remember, I have had a hard time with media. I find I have to be careful about what I allow into my mind in the way of visual and auditory stimuli. TV and films that are too realistic can upset me, especially ones that trigger deep emotions. I get sort of swept up in the lives of the characters, and find it hard to shake off the vibe. When the lights come on in the theater and everyone rises to leave, I'm still stuck in the plot - whether it be romance or action, pain or joy. My mood can be affected for a day or two, almost like a hangover.

Consequently, I found myself troubled after viewing a film about a sex addict recently. I knew just from the title and cast that it wouldn't be a good choice for me, especially late at night, which would throw off my schedule in the morning. Still, I allowed myself to indulge, and paid the price the following day. Although realistic in its portrayal of a man caught helplessly in sin, and ultimately dying as a result of his obsession, Hollywood (not surprisingly) missed a prime opportunity to drive home the point that there are no winners in self-absorption. Rather, it tried to sell the audience on the idea that his liaisons enriched the lives of his lovers, instead of leaving broken hearts and misery in the wake of his selfish pursuit of satisfaction.

None of that, though, is really the point. I knew the movie would bring me down, possibly emotionally, certainly spiritually. Christians enjoy liberty in disputable matters like alcohol consumption and the arts, so I am not here to tell others how to exercise their freedom in Christ. That being said, I know what I can and can't handle. I've had fellow believers characterize me as legalistic about my viewing habits, when in actuality, I'm following the dictates of my conscience. First Corinthians 8:9-13 and 10:23-33 make clear that we are to respect others' spiritual limitations, even if they don't make sense to us. I would prefer to be thought of as a "weaker sister" than for others to coax me in a direction that is wrong for me.


As today is Good Friday, when Christ took on Himself all the sins of humanity, doesn't it behoove us to encourage each other to heed the Holy Spirit's counsel regarding sin within our individual hearts, rather than assume it's the same for everyone?

Check out Steven Curtis Chapman's Dying to Live 

For more like this, check out: Morsels for Meditation...: Cheap Date Part 2 (Disclaimer)

No comments: