Click here to show form Reflections by Thea: Breaking Even...

Total Pageviews

Friday, October 7, 2011

Breaking Even...

... that's what I feel like I've been doing lately, in most areas of my life. Financially, I've been somewhat stalled (!) since buying my new car last summer. Not that I regret it for one minute. It was long overdue, and it's been absolutely heavenly not to worry about start-ups and breakdowns. Still, my bank account took a hit and hasn't really recovered yet. The scale has been stuck at an unpleasant number for several years now, despite my increased exercise regime (I guess the old theory about an inverse relationship between food and weight loss must have some truth to it). My book has been rejected by two publishers. And I have the typical concerns for my children's health, education, and, most importantly, spiritual growth.

Psalm 42:5 says, "Why, my soul, are you downcast? Why so disturbed within me? Put your hope in God, for I will yet praise Him, my Savior and my God." When I look at my life, at the various waves coming at me from upstream, I sometimes get scared and discouraged. I let small matters like sticking doorknobs and chimney repairs get me down. Instead of cheering for myself and my family, I sink into a rut with walls which are very hard to scale. But when I stop to re-examine the facts - I own a new car; the scale hasn't gone down, but it hasn't gone up either, and my body's got to be better for the exercise; I actually wrote a book and submitted it to publishers; my kids are hanging in there, with all their struggles, and are right there paddling with me - well, it's then that I realize the Psalmist indeed has a point.

After all, better to be treading water than to go under...





No comments: