Click here to show form Reflections by Thea: Trapped

Total Pageviews

Sunday, June 26, 2011

Trapped

Flies.

Disgusting, disease-carrying creatures that always show up uninvited and are the last to leave.

Today as I lay on our porch sofa, two buzzed around aimlessly, just daring me to swat them. One looked harmless enough, but his sidekick must have been checking out picnics all day. He was the size of a mutated raisin and almost as bloated. I armed myself and waited to make my move.

Normally, I don't get all bent out of shape over a fly or two, but it so happens that last summer I played host to a couple of indoor fly conventions which enabled my son and me to bond over a swat-fest. We traced the source to an outdoor garbage can, but have had to be careful ever since. So when these guys started strutting their stuff, I was in no mood to be merciful.

Turns out they were their own undoing. Both trapped themselves between a screen and a window pane, then frantically flapped their wings till they were all fluttered out.

I find myself in this kind of predicament at times. I feel cornered between the proverbial rock and hard place, and scramble around trying to get out. Like these lowly insects, I can't even envision a solution to my problem. Instead I hurry and scurry, going through meaningless motions, oblivious to the fact that freedom is as available as asking God to open a window. He may or may not release me from my circumstances, but He surely provides avenues and byways that escape my attention.

"Call to Me, and I will answer you, and show you great and mighty things, which you do not know." Jeremiah 33:3

For more like this, check out: Morsels for Meditation...: Rot, Dead Flies, and Other Unspeakable Things

No comments: